The brand Flagyl is an antibiotic that helps you fight a bacterial infection. The generic name for it is metronidazole, it is most commonly used to treat bacterial infections in the stomach, skin, joints, vagina, and respiratory tract. Only your doctor can prescribe Flagyl for additional purposes not listed above, and within medical guidelines.
Important Information About Antibiotics
Like any antibiotic, you must take it as directed. Antibiotics may clear an infection before you complete the recommended dosage, but it’s crucial you continue until all the antibiotics are all gone.
Is Flagyl Right For Me?
Avoid Flagyl in particular if you’re allergic to metronidazole or if you’re pregnant. Your doctor will also need to be notified if you are allergic to any other medication or suffer certain illnesses such as:
- Liver disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Seizure disorder
- Or any other illnesses
Being honest with you doctor is important, and will help you avoid any medical complications. If you are not pregnant but plan to get pregnant during your treatment, make sure and let your doctor know.
What Do I Need to Know If I’m Prescribed Flagyl?
- Follow the prescribed instructions, do not take more or less.
- Avoid alcohol all together, including 3 days after you stop taking Flagyl.
- You may require a blood test often to make sure Flagyl is not causing any harm to the liver.
- Always tell any doctor you see that you are taking Flagyl including your dentist.
- Store the medication at room temperature, avoid moisture and heat.
- If you miss a dose, do not take extra to make it up, continue with the next dose.
- Tell your doctor about other medications you may be taking. Only your doctor will know if it’s safe to combine with Flagyl. The following is a list of medications to absolutely avoid when taking Flagyl
- cimetidine (Tagamet);
- seizure medication such as phenytoin (Dilantin) or phenobarbital (Luminal, Solfoton);
- a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven);
- lithium (Lithobid, Eskalith, others); or
- disulfiram (Antabuse).
What if I overdose or have an allergic reaction?
The poison help line is always available to assist at 800-222-1222 or seek immediate medical attention.
Are there any side effects to Flagyl?
You should immediately contact your doctor or seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction such as hives, breathing problems, and facial swelling.
Like all medications, there are side effects to be aware of, read the entire list of additional side effects for Flagyl along with other information that will help you if you’re prescribed this medication.
At our Newport Beach Lasik Center, we take pride in providing our patients with information that promotes prevention. An informed patient can make the best decisions when it comes to their health.