Kids have confused the laundry detergent pods for candy, but now these little detergent pods we rely on to get our clothes nice and clean are causing chemical eye burns in young children.
It is reported that between 2012 and 2015, there was a 32% increase in chemical eye injuries among preschool age children.
Since the report by JAMA Ophtalomogy, new safety standards have been established to prevent these types of accidents by making sure the product withstands the pressure of a child’s squeeze.
Parents must still be on guard and aware of the potential hazards to avoid ingestion or chemical eye injuries.
Avoid Chemical Eye Burns in Children
These pods if squeezed can pop and get into the child’s eyes. The chemicals found in the detergent pods can cause long term vision problems that can be permanent.
The pods, are squishy and colorful, most kids find this fascinating and are quickly eager to squeeze one. The majority of these injuries happen at home. 480 children were hurt by the end of 2015.
If you like using the detergent pods on your laundry or in the dishwasher, avoid placing them in easy to reach areas.
Many come in a sealed container that cannot be easily opened by children, but keeping them high off the ground should help you avoid injuries.
If the liquid detergent pods come in an easy to open container, you can transfer them to a tighter seal container and store them out of reach.
“We can never be safe enough with children around the home. This is only one example associated with detergent pods” said Alexandra Chebil M.D. our own Orange County Ophthalmologist and Lasik eye surgeon in Newport Beach CA.
It’s best to place any house cleaning chemicals and products out of reach if there are little ones around the house to avoid injuries and chemical eye burns that can damage a child’s vision for a lifetime.
What to do if you get Chemicals in the Eyes?
Flush the eyes with lukewarm water for about 15 to 30 minutes. For severe burns continue flushing until you see a doctor or arrive at the emergency room. Try to keep the eyes wide open for as long as possible, and make sure the hands are washed to remove any chemical residue is no longer there.